I find it amazing how God brings to me the subjects that I blog. I read something or hear something and its as if a light goes off. It isn’t just once, its several times which leads me to believe it’s a God thing and I need to study on the subject matter.
The idea of being approachable has been in and out of my head for quite some time. Social media fuels the fire of approachability (as it fuels many fires – some not so great).
Our culture has encouraged women to fight for who they are and to do whatever it takes to have their voices heard. To some degree, I agree with being heard. Lord knows, I love being heard — really heard. I want people to believe I’m strong and capable of doing anything anyone else, regardless of their gender, can do. However, this “girl power” mentality has morphed into something I can NOT stand behind. It has made women unapproachable, unkind, hard hearted, and bitter. The saddest part – a lot of these women are Christians.
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21
The girl power culture of today is a manifestation of the flesh; it is of the world and not of God. Look at some of these things in the above verse that pertains to our subject (and remember I’m talking to my Christian sisters).
- Fornication – There is an idea that a woman can, without any consequence, have relations with anyone she wants married or unmarried.
- Uncleanness – Purity is looked at today as “old fashioned.”
- Lasciviousness – Where I see this most is the shamelessness. The idea that, “I have the right to do or say whatever I want because that is just who I am.”
- Variance – Look on social media, people are causing strife all over the place and a great many of those are women – Christian women.
- Emulation – Trying to get ahead no matter who gets in the way and allowing jealousy to be the fuel.
- Wrath – An unquenchable anger. You see this all through social media. There are Christian women who are angry about EVERYTHING and their light is so dim.
- Strife – To put oneself before anyone else no matter the cost.
- Seditions – Causing division among one another.
- Envyings – Jealousy can cause so much division among sisters.
I know this seems raw and tough to hear and to see – especially if you are guilty of one or more of these things. I know just by looking each one of these up, I have seen how I’ve been like this at one time or another. Trust me ladies, I am not innocent of never doing any of these since I was saved but that doesn’t mean at any time I should be proud to have them in my life.
Now back to our subject at hand – approachability. If you have any of these manifestations of the flesh as seen above, how can you be someone that others want to approach? As Christian women, our desire should be to do the will of the Lord. We are ambassadors of Christ. That means, we represent Christ on earth. Many times, we are his mouth piece. How can we be when people fear approaching us? How can we be approachable when we put on social media that we are a malicious woman? None of these attributes foster approachability. In contrast, they feed division and inaccessibility.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-25
I love how God leaves the good stuff till last! I just didn’t think it was right to say, here is what we shouldn’t be without finishing it off correctly. These are the attributes that a Christian woman (or man for that matter) should exude.
- Love – This is the type of love that God has toward man (agape). We can never love exactly as God does but if we are trying to, I guarantee you will be doing a fine job!
- Joy – This is a woman who rejoices in the Lord and with her sisters. You can see it even before she even opens her mouth.
- Peace – No drama for your momma with this woman. She wants people to be at ease around her and the environment around her is tranquil. People feel safe around her.
- Longsuffering – This woman has endurance with others. She sees everyone has struggles and is patient with her sisters.
- Gentleness – Kind is how you would describe this woman. You know when you go to her for help, she will never bring you down. She will always be a soft place to land.
- Goodness – Here in the south, they would say this woman has a good turn. She is pleasant to be around. You know she is always going to treat you fairly.
- Faith – This woman seeks the truth, finds it, and lives it out. She loves Jesus and believes in the power she has in Him.
- Meekness – This woman has a humble spirit. She knows her strength comes from the Lord. She is gentle with others and with herself.
- Temperance – Again, God left the good stuff for last. SELF CONTROL! This woman realizes she has a “natural man” that can come out to play and when he does, nothing good comes of it. She understands she must put her flesh under the authority of Jesus Christ. She doesn’t use terms like, “that is just how I am,” as an excuse for bad behavior. When the old man comes out to play she quickly pushes him away and then asks God for forgiveness of her sin.
All these characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit are approachable characteristics. These are the things that attract people to want to talk to us and more than that, it is what attracts them to Jesus.
Be approachable ladies; it isn’t weakness. It is what makes us strong in the Lord and brings others to Him. Love you all!